Ronnie's Chickpea Stew
- Vegetable stock cubes crushed x 2
- Lemons x 3
- Bay leaves x 3
- Crushed garlic cloves x 2 (Optional)
- Oregano x 1 tablespoon (Optional)
- Put 2 to 3 inches worth of dried chickpeas in your slow cooker (make sure you have room for them to expand they'll quadruple in volume)
- Add in a teaspoon of salt and the juice of half a lemon
- Cover with water using about 3 times the volume to the amount chickpeas you used
- Turn on the lowest setting and leave cooking over night
- In the morning rinse and drain the chickpeas and process in a food processor to make a delicious padding for doggie food
- Pour the rest of the chickpeas which are not going to the dog back into the slow cooker with the juice of the remaining lemons.
- Add a pinch of salt, the stock cubes the bay leaves, crushed garlic cloves and oregano and cover with boiling water using twice as much water to chickpeas.
- Cook on high for 8 hours topping up with water if need (check every 3 hours) alternatively leave over night on the lowest setting top up with water in the morning, continue to cook and ejoy for dinner
- Serve in a bowl with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a glug of olive oil
- Mop up with some ciabatta bread