One Pot Penne Arrabiata
A fantastically easy one pot penne arrabiata recipe that can be spiced up for the carnivores amongst you with the addition of diced chorizo. This is delicious seasoned with freshly ground black pepper and garnished with some grated parmesan.
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- Large white onion x 1 finely diced
- Penne pasta x 400g (Get bronze died if available)
- Chicken stock x 1 gel or 2 cubes (get gels if possible)
- Olive oil x 4 tbs
- Tinned chopped tomatoes 400g x 2
- Tomato puree x 2 tbs
- Tomato ketchup x 2 tbs (optional)
- Garlic cloves crushed x 2
- Red chilli x 1 finely diced (remove the seeds if you don't like it spicy)
- Chorizo x 100g diced (optional)
- Parmesan to garnish
Method (10 min - prep + 60 min - cooking)
- Fill a kettle with water and set to boil.
- Place 3 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large saucepan and heat on a medium temperature until the oil runs freely if you tip up the pan.
- If not using chorizo you can skip this step. Add the chorizo and fry on a high temperature for 5 minutes or until it starts to look crispy (stir regularly to prevent burning).
- Turn the temperature back to medium and add the onion. Fry for 3-4 minutes or until it starts to soften.
- Add the diced chilli and crushed garlic and stir in the tomato puree.
- Add the penne to the pan along with the chopped tomatoes and ketchup if using.
- Stir in the chicken stock cubes or gel. Fill the empty chopped tomato cans with the boiled water from the kettle and tip into the pan along with a tablespoon of olive oil. (refill one of the cans once so that you end up adding 3 cans worth of water to the saucepan)
- Stir once then turn the heat down low and place a lid on the saucepan. Stir every 10 minutes for the next hour or until the sauce thickens to your liking. If the sauce becomes too thick just add a little more boiling water to the pan.
- Take to the table and enjoy :-)